Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let The Crying Begin

Today started with Ruth and Kakembo coming to my house to ask me for their pens back. I had put them in my bag and forgot about them. I thought it was funny that they took those pens so seriously because they didn’t have a spare one. As they were about to leave Kakembo asked me when we were going to look for bikes. I told him to go look and let me know how much they cost first. He smiled then walked off to school.

Today was also the day I was to drop Jimmy off at his new school. He came to the guesthouse this morning all ready to go. As soon as we went to leave it started to pour rain. It was seriously the hardest rainstorm I have ever seen. We got stuck at Nalusse in the office for ½ an hour waiting for it to slow down. When it did we stopped by the P6 classroom to say good-bye to everyone. The girl Jimmy secretly told me he liked was not there, she had went with Jesse to Kampala. I asked him if he wanted to write her a letter and I would give it to her, but he said no. I think he wanted to but was just to shy to say so.

After the rain let up we headed out to the new school. By the time we got there it started to pour again so we got drenched walking into the school. We spent some time with the headmaster and settled up payment of school fees and the cost of uniforms and clothes. I also gave them some spending money for Jimmy so that he could buy some snacks and other small things throughout the year.

When the money stuff was all settled we went to the dorm to unpack his things and get him settled there. By this point he was acting a bit strange and I think was getting sad about me leaving and about being left there without knowing anyone.

To my surprise the school kept their promise and gave Jimmy an entire bunk bed to himself. We made the bed and unpacked a few things then hung the mosquito net (I gave him mine) I then told the dorm master about when Jimmy is to take his medication and what schedule he is on. I really felt like his mother giving them all his information and how to properly take care of him. I really want to make sure that his is in good care.

Before we left for the school I had printed out all the photos I took of Jimmy while on this trip and gave him a copy. There was one with him and Ruth as well as one of us together. I think he really appreciated that and didn’t want to put them away. I also gave him some envelopes with stamps already attached for him to send me a letters while I am in Canada.

By this time it was after lunch and I had to get going. I asked him to walk me to the road and I had already started to cry. It was still raining at this point and I am sure he was cold so I wanted to make it quick. I started balling and he teared up. He didn’t want me to see but I did and told him it was ok to cry. We hugged then both turned and walked away. It was so hard to say goodbye because I don’t know when or if I will ever see him again. He is well now but who knows how long he really has.

While I was with Jimmy Jesse had taken Ruth and Kakembo to Kampala to finish the passport paperwork. After getting the receipt they went back to the office only to find out that the parents needed to be there. We were told ahead of time that we didn’t need the parents but apparently things had changed. They came back to Mukono and called the parents to come. Only Kakembo’s mother showed up and they left Mukono for Kampala again around 4 pm in hopes of making it there before they closed. Turns out the reached Kampala 5 minutes after they closed and were told to come back tomorrow. I know Jesse was trying to get everything done by the time I leave and I really appreciate that but I feel bad they had to do so much running around. They will try again in the morning

In the afternoon I met up with Ruth’s mother and we went to her house to take some pictures. They live far away and I can’t believe Ruth walks it every day. It takes her 2 hours to walk to school each way. She gets up at 5, washes up and has tea then walks 2 hours to school to arrive for 7:30 am. She then goes to school until 5:30 before starting her 2 hour walk home. When she reaches home she must fetch water and wash clothes. She probably also does the dishes and other housework. Then it’s time for homework before going to bed at around 11 or 12. What a day for such a small girl.

I took some photos of their house and spoke with the mother for a while. We had a very interesting conversation about witchcraft and people killing other people in Uganda because her neighbor was a witch doctor. She was telling me about how if someone steals your property and they get caught a crowd can form and beat that person, sometimes to death. I asked her what happens if they beat the person to death and she told me that they just light the body on fire and run away. She then asked me if this type of thing happens in Canada. When I told her no she told me that there is a good amount of killing in Uganda, and that husbands often kill their wives out of jealousy. She spoke so matter of factly about it I found it so strange. At the end of our visit she gave me some cushion covers she made. Nothing I would ever use but extremely thoughtful considering these people have no money.

As soon as I arrived home Kakembo showed up telling me he found a bike and that he wanted to go look at them right away. It was already dark and we were about to have dinner but he was so excited I couldn’t say no. When we arrived at the bike shop they were just closing but we were able to get them to pull out the bike Kakembo picked. It was definitely used and needed a few repairs. We negotiated on a price then they agreed to fix it up and make everything work.

After spending some time shining my trusty finger flashlight (thanks mom) on the bike and helping screw and unscrew some parts we finally got it all ready to go. It was so worth it because I have never seen Kakembo have such a reaction. He started to stutter a bit and thanked me over and over again. He had called to tell his mother that he would be late and she started calling me back to say thank you for buying him the bike. It was another one of those great moments, and I got a great photo of him on the bike to prove it.

Tomorrow is my last day and I am sure there will be many tears to shed. Better get a good nights sleep.

Jenn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fabulous jornal Jennifer. We miss you here and look forward to seeing you in a few short days.